Indiana is one of the US states hosting most of the famous Chess grandmasters such as Aleksandr Lenderman. The state has different chess game tournaments that enable players to participate in their chess careers. Furthermore, the chess game tournaments are open to all the categories of chess players, from beginners to legends. This has led to the formation of many chess clubs in the state to accommodate the increasing number of new players.
Most chess clubs have a scheduled weekly meeting which enables them, welcome new members. In addition, there are also many chess shops available in the state. The shops provide all the necessary accessories required for chess games.
This significantly impacts the supply of chess accessories to the chess clubs, making it easy for the players to participate in different chess championships in the state. The state has crowned many champions, including Braydon Povinelli, Aydin Turgut, etc. Therefore, to discover more about the chess games in the Indiana states, feel free to read the article up to the end.
How many chess players are there in Indiana?
Many chess players in Indiana state, including Braydon Povinelli, reside in Shelbyville. Braydon is the current state champion, a title he took over from Aydin Turgut in 2020. Aydin Turgut was a state champion from 2018 to 2020 and stayed in Culver. Other chess players include:
- Jim Mills from Indianapolis
- John Cole, Andrew Porter
- Bradford Drake Garret Smith
- Emory A. Tate
Grandmasters in Indiana
Some of the chess grandmasters in Indiana include the Aleksandr Lenderman. Aleksandr is one of the most famous chess players globally and is a master of the chess game. He has a grandmaster title after participating in chess games for about ten years. Braydon Povinelli is another Indiana State chess grandmaster who has won two titles in its records. He is a two-time chess champion of the Indiana state chess championships, which he won consecutively and was awarded a state crown. Alex Fishbein is another chess grandmaster in Indiana state with an excellent record after winning the international masters and grandmasters titles. These titles made Alex be ranked among the top-rated chess players from Indiana states in the USA.
Indiana Chess Clubs
There are many chess clubs available in the state of Indiana. The chess clubs welcome chess players from different levels. Some clubs may require you to register before joining, while others accept new members for free. That said, let’s now find some reputable chess clubs in Indiana state;
- Anderson chess club – This is one of the famous chess clubs found in the Indiana states. The Anderson club members always have their meeting every Tuesday of the week starting from 6-9 pm. The meeting is usually held at the Greeks Pizza. In most cases, they do meet for casual play. You can visit the Facebook page of the club by following the link below:
- Bloomington Chess Club – The Bloomington Club is also another famous chess club in Indiana. The club conducts its weekly meeting on Tuesday, beginning at 7:00 pm. The venue of their weekly meeting is always located at the Buffalouies found on Indiana Avenue. No membership is required to join this club; therefore, it welcomes all members from different chess game levels.
- The Carmel chess club – The chess club members meet mostly on Mondays from 6:30 to 8:30 pm every week. They also meet on Sunday, starting from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. The Sunday meeting is always meant for the grades K-10 members. To join the club, you must register, especially for the fall/spring sessions. The club also welcomes all levels of players.
- Elkhart B.U.M Chess club – The club members meet weekly on Tuesdays starting at 7:00-10:00 pm. The meeting takes place at the Bethel united church in Indiana. There are also many other clubs in the state, such as Evansville, Gary, Greenwood, Columbus, and the Brownsburg chess club.
Indiana Chess Tournaments
There are many Chess tournaments in Indiana that you can participate in. The tournaments that are happening in Indiana state includes;
The June 18, 2022 tournament of the Northern Indiana open Kokomo, there is also July 22-24, 2022 Junior open tournament, and the senior open tournament. The other games include; the Indiana club championships for Bloomington, which will take place on August 13, 2022. The Glenn snow memorial is a FIDE tournament in Noblesville that will take place on September 17, 2022. The Blitz Championship of Indiana will take place on September 17, 2022, in Noblesville.
Indiana chess shops
If you are looking for a chess shop in the Indiana states, don’t worry, there are many places to buy chess sets. You can visit the Husaria to buy the wooden and attractive hand-crafted chess Staunton.
You can also visit the Chess org store to buy all the chess sets you may need. The chess store specializes in selling chessboards and chess of all sizes and kinds. Therefore, when you visit their site, you will find other products such as chess tables, chessmen, checker sets, and chess boards.
You can also visit Yellow Pages to get the chess games board at affordable prices or visit their office in Indianapolis to access their products and services. These shops have a great impact on the supply of chess game accessories in the state. Again, their products are designed to stand the test of time.
Chess games are one of the famous games loved by many worldwide. The game is easy to play and fun, especially when you play the game in your free time. However, the chess game can also be a great career if you participate in it in different competitions such as championships. For this reason, it is one of the known games that are enjoyable and a source of income for veteran players.
Indiana is one of the most popular states in the United States of America for Chess with many players. For this reason, the chess guide provides you with all the information you may need about the chess games in Indiana.
I hope this guide on Indiana Chess helped you. If you’re interested in other states, you can refer to the guide on Chess in the United States or a specific state like Washington or Idaho.