This article uses algebraic notation to describe chess moves. For more information, see our step-by-step guide on how to read Chess Notation.
10. Richard Reti vs Emanuel Lasker
New York, New York, NY USA, round 16, April 08, 1924
Emanuel Lasker played against Richard Reti on April 8th, 1924. After 45 moves, Lasker was victorious against the Reti Opening.
9. Frank Marshall vs Emanuel Lasker – Lasker – Marshall World Championship Match, USA, round 1, January 26, 1907
On January 26th of 1907, Lasker faced Frank Marshall in the World Championship. This game that took place in round one would later be known as “War Dance”, where Lasker played the Nyholm Attack variation of the Berlin Defense.
8. Emanuel Lasker vs Vasja Pirc – Moscow, Moscow URS, round 19, March 14, 1935
Emanuel Lasker played against Vasja Pirc in Moscow on March 14th, 1935. The Sicilian Defense was played and Lasker played a beautiful game, winning in 20 moves.
7. Emanuel Lasker vs William Ewart Napier – Cambridge Springs, Cambridge Springs, PA USA, round 3, April 28, 1904
This game received the name, “Pawnslaught”. The Closed Variation of the Sicilian Defense was played. Lasker beat William Ewart Napier in 35 moves.
6. Harry Nelson Pillsbury vs Emanuel Lasker – St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg RUE, round 10, January 04, 1895/96
Emanuel Lasker played against Harry Nelson Pillsbury on January 4th, 1896. The Primitive Pillsbury Variation of the Queen’s Gambit Declined was played and Lasker beat Pillsbury after 30 moves.
5. Emanuel Lasker vs Jose Raul Capablanca – Moscow, Moscow URS, round 9, February 27, 1935
4. Max Euwe vs Emanuel Lasker – Zurich, Zurich SUI, round 1, July 14, 1934
Lasker played against Max Euwe on July 14th, 1934. After 50 moves where the Queen’s Gambit Declined was on the board, Lasker won.
3. Emanuel Lasker vs Johann Hermann Bauer – Amsterdam, Amsterdam NED, round 1, August 26, 1889
Lasker played the Bird Opening against Johann Hermann Bauer on August 26th, 1889.
2. Emanuel Lasker vs Carl Schlechter – Lasker – Schlechter World Championship Match, Berlin GER, round 10, February 8, 1910
Lasker played against Carl Schlechter for the World Championship in Berlin on February 8th, 1910. The Quiet Variation of the Slav Defense was played.
1. Emanuel Lasker vs Jose Raul Capablanca – St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg RUE, round 7, May 18, 1914
The famous game that would be known as, “Rage Against the Machine”, was played between Lasker and Capablanca on May 18th, 1914. The Alekhine Variation of the Spanish Game was played. Lasker defeated Capablanca after 42 moves.
Did you like this list of Emanuel Lasker’s best games? If you did, you might be interested in other players games, take a look at Daniil Dubov’s best games.