In the last list of games we published, we went over a few of Sipke Ernst’s best games. In this post, we are going through ten of the best chess games of Alexei Shirov, who is a Grandmaster from Spain and one of the best Spanish chess players.
This article uses algebraic notation to describe chess moves. For more information, see our step-by-step guide on how to read Chess Notation
10. Alexey Shirov vs Arnaud Hauchard – Paris-ch op – Paris, France – 1990
Alexei Shirov played against Arnaud Hauchard at the Paris-ch op tournament in 1990. Shirov played the Benko Gambit with the white pieces.
9. Alexey Shirov vs Dimitri Reinderman – Hoogovens Group A, Round 11 – Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands – January 29, 1999
Alexei Shirov played against Dimitri Reinderman at the Hoogovens Group A tournament on January 29, 1999. Shirov played the Sicilian Defense with the white pieces.
8. Alexey Shirov vs Jerzy Lapinski – Daugavpils, Round ?? – Dubai UAE, – February 01, 1990
Alexei Shirov played against Jerzy Lapinski at the Daugavpils tournament on February 01, 1990. Shirov played the King’s Gambit with the white pieces.
7. Gata Kamsky vs Alexey Shirov – World Team Championship, Round 6 – Lucerne, Switzerland – October 30, 1993
Alexei Shirov played against Gata Kamsky at the World Team Championship tournament on October 30, 1993. Shirov played the Semi-Slav Defense with the black pieces.
6. Alexey Shirov vs Evgeny Bareev – Novgorod, Round 3 – Novgorod, Russia – August 01, 1994
Alexei Shirov played against Evgeny Bareev at the Novgorod tournament on August 01, 1994. Shirov played the French Defense with the white pieces.
5. Vladimir Kramnik vs Alexey Shirov – Linares, Round 12 – Linares, Spain – March 12, 1994
Alexei Shirov played against Vladimir Kramnik at the Linares tournament on March 12, 1994. Shirov played the Baltic Defense with the black pieces.
4. Alexey Shirov vs Judit Polgar – Tilburg Fontys, Round 9 – Tilburg, Netherland – October 21, 1996
Alexei Shirov played against Judit Polgar at the Tilburg Fontys tournament on October 21, 1996. Shirov played the Sicilian Defense with the white pieces.
3. Veselin Topalov vs Alexey Shirov – Linares, Round 10 – Linares, Spain – March 04, 1998
Alexei Shirov played against Veselin Topalov at the Linares tournament on March 04, 1998. Shirov played the Gruenfeld Defense with the black pieces.
2. Joel Lautier vs Alexey Shirov – Manila Interzonal, Round 11 – Manila, Philippines – July 11, 1990
Alexei Shirov played against Joel Lautier at the Manila Interzonal tournament on July 11, 1990. Shirov played the King’s Indian Defense with the black pieces.
1. Boris Gelfand vs Alexey Shirov – Pivdenny Bank Chess Cup, Round 7 – Odessa, Ukraine – July 06, 2007
Alexei Shirov played against Boris Gelfand at the Bank Chess Cup tournament on July 06, 2007. Shirov played the Gruenfeld Defense with the black pieces.
Did you like this list of Alexei Shirov’s best games? If you did, you might also be interested in Garry Kasparov’s best games.